Nishikori, Murray withdrew at the Australian Open 2020

Two players, Kei Nishikori and Andy Murray, said they could not attend the first Grand Slam tournament of the year because of injury.

“I and the team made this decision because I was not 100% ready or fit to play at the highest level. I was very hesitant because the Australian Open is one of the love leagues. I like it. Thank you everyone for your support. The team and I will continue to work hard to get back to the stage soon”, Kei Nishikori said on December 30.

The world’s 13th ranked tennis player withdraws on grounds of a right elbow injury. He has not played any match since his defeat in the third round of the US Open. Nishikori became the highest ranked player to withdraw from the tournament so far.

At the Australian Open, Nishikori has the best performance in the quarterfinals of 2012, 2015, 2016 and 2019. He currently has a record of 29 wins and 7 losses in Melbourne Park.

On 28/12, Andy Murray announced his withdrawal from the first Grand Slam of the year because the hip injury has not fully recovered. At the Australian Open 2019, Murray said tearful goodbye to fans, but he decided to come back later.

The former world number one marked his return at the Antwerp Open tennis tournament, where he beat Stan Wawrinka in the final to take the championship. In November, Murray relapsed from injury while attending the Davis Cup.

As expected, Murray will not play any tournament until February. He will return at the Open Sud De France tennis tournament in Montpellier.

The Australian Open 2020 will take place from January 20 to February 2 at the Melbourne Park sports complex. This year’s tournament continues to increase the prize money to a record of 49.2 million USD. The champion of the men’s singles and women’s singles received more than 2.8 million USD.